Shirt: Princess Highway
So, I think you probably know by now how much I love Modcloth’s Breathtaking Tiger Lilies skirt. The fit, the style, the comfort… In fact the only negative is that the fabric of the skirt isn’t of a particularly high quality and can be prone to pulls.
Well, my much beloved mustard incarnation of Modcloth’s signature midi skirt has finally rubbed up against one too many rough surfaces and I decided that since I’d added the burnt orange to my wardrobe I could maybe…. maybe…. try taking it apart at the seams and frankensteining up my very own Breathtaking Tiger Lillies Skirt out of a fabric with a bit more longevity.
I decided on this lovely heart-print fabric from Darn Cheap Fabrics because it had a similar drape and weight as the original fabric. Plus also the deep berry colour. And, you know, the hearts.
First things first I took to the seams of my mustard skirt with a sharp pair of scissors:
I decided to skip the pockets for the sake of simplicity, so in the end I only had three pattern pieces: The front of the skirt, the back of the skirt (The Modcloth skirt has two pieces, but I just cut one on the fold) and the front waistband. As I suspected only the front of waist band was interfaced, the rear was folded over a band of elastic, making it an easy remake.
As I was unpicking the waistband from the pleated front I made sure I marked each fold so that I could line them up with the folds I wanted to create in the heart fabric. Once I’d pinned them up I basted them in place all ready to attach the waistband.
I cut a piece of wide elastic long enough to fit snugly around the back half of my waist, then folded the waist of the back piece of skirt over the top. I basted the end of the elastic in place to ensure it didn’t come loose then sewed the rest of the folded fabric down around the elastic making sure I didn’t catch the elastic in the seam. At the other end I gathered the fabric up around the elastic then basted then other end into place as well.
I applied interfacing to the wrong side of my waistband fabric, then right sides together I sewed the waistband piece to the front panel of my skirt fabric.
To attach the two skirt pieces together I lined up the seam attaching the front waistband with the skirt with the seam on the folded waistband at the back and sewed the side seams down the length of the skirt.
To finish the waistband I just had to fold the front waistband down to line up with the top of the back waistband and sew it carefully into place.
One of the things I really liked about the original skirt was the way it looked with its woven belt, so I decided to include the belt loops in my remade version.
It was a simple case of sewing very narrow rectangles of fabric down the long length right sides together, then turning the little tubes outside in and attaching them to the front and back of the waistband, and voila! My belt stays in place around my the waist of the skirt.
I am very very chuffed with my new Me-Made Modcloth Remix, it feels and looks very like the original.