DIY: Seamwork Veronica Dress

Dress: DIY from Seamwork “Veronica” Pattern

Shoes: Seychelles


I’ve had my eye on the Seamwork “Veronica” pattern for months and months now, but without a dining table to put my sewing machine on, all of my sewing projects have been sitting on the back burner.

The very first free weekend I’ve had in our new place (with our new dining table) I took the opportunity to finally put the sewing pedal to the metal. I bought the digital Veronica pattern, had it printed it a local print shop, marveled at how much easier it was than sticky-taping together 40+ sheets of A4 paper, and took a trip to Sydney Road – Melbourne’s cheap fabric mecca – which is now conveniently located just near me, and bought some fantastically 80’s viscose to give the pattern a dry run.

The Veronica’s a very simple frock with dolman sleeves, a solid banded waistband that’s elasticised at the back. The dress fastens with a zipper at the back and features the slightly blouson style that I’m kind of loving right now.

The pattern seemed straightforward enough; the only tricky part was the waistband, but I took it slow and steady and didn’t have to unpick once.

BUT (and it’s a big but) it was much too big in the waist.

Because it was just a wearable muslin, and I couldn’t figure out how to correct the size issues without taking the entire thing to pieces and starting again from scratch, I just frankensteined my own lazy fix, by pinching a couple of pleats into the waistband and sewing it up.

It’s… OK. The pleats makes the top a bit more blousy than I needed it to be, and the dress is not as flattering as I’d hoped – the neckline’s way too high and the shape’s a bit boxy, plus to be honest the zipper at the back seemed to be totally unecessary – with the elasticised back waistband it would be easy to pull on and off.

The pattern’s a solid 6 out of 10, but I’m not sure I’d make it again. I thought I might actually try the Olivia dress from Style Arc next time, which seems to have everything that I like about the Veronica, and none of the stuff I didn’t.

Cut and Paste

Top: Boden

Skirt: Doops Designs

Shoes: Comfortview

Welp, here it is. The new Wall. Possibly the Final Wall. Very definitely the Forever For Now Wall. Can you believe it?

2018 actually marks ten years of Frocks and Frou Frou, which seems just totally insane. I know some of you have been with me since the beginning – thank you so much for sticking with me through all the ups and downs. What a crazy ride, huh?

It’s been a stinker in Melbourne over the past few days. Absolutely scorching hot. And as much as I totally adore our new pad, it doesn’t have air-conditioning. My lovely Mister has managed to borrow a portable air-conditioner that we’ve had cranking all weekend, and it’s the only thing that’s kept me from melting into a disgruntled puddle of sweat.

It’s on the list of Things We’re Going To Do To The Apartment That We Now Own, Because We Can, Because We Own It. After this past weekend it’s near the top of the list. It’s probably even above saving money to get married, to be honest. It’s been pretty hot.

I’ve been sitting on this brightly-patterned “Cut Play” skirt from Doops Designs for a while now. It’s the second skirt that I’ve bought from the Independent Australian designer (the first is here), and it’s taken me a while to wear it. Unlike my Protea skirt I bought this one in the cotton fabric, rather than the silk and it’s… okay. The boxy shape is a lot less forgiving with the stiffer fabric, and though I love that the colours are more vibrant it’s just A Lot, you know? And I’m wearing less and less of this kind of bold, bright clothing these days.

The skirt used to be a few inches longer, and I just couldn’t figure out how to wear it successfully. I had some grand plans about lopping the elasticised waistband off, and using the fabric to make a top, or a less frouffy skirt, but in the end I realised that just lopping a bit of length off the hem transformed it from Too Much to Just Enough. It’s fun, and bold, and bright, and perfect for summer with a stripy t-shirt.

I hemmed it myself. Now that we’ve moved, and I have a dining table again I finally got my sewing machine back out. I’ve already made one new dress (it was semi-sucessful. I’ll write about in next week maybe) and I’m looking forward to getting back into sewing and dressmaking again.