Me Made May: Day 7

Dress: Style Arc Olivia dress, made with Spoonflower fabric
Cardigan: Sussan

I missed day six, due to being laid up in bed with some gnarly combination of gastro, a migraine, and a head cold, but I’ve bounced back (sort of) today, with the Style Arc Olivia dress.

This simple elastic waist dress is a great beginners pattern and apparently can be made in a knit or a woven. Here I’ve made it in a wattle-print “modern jersey” from Spoonflower (designed by Lolah studio).

I really enjoyed making this dress, and not just because it’s one of those one-day makes (a toddler nap, plus some extra in the evening).

I squeezed it out of two yards of fabric, and I think I’ll make another before the month is up. I particularly want to have another try with shortening the bodice, because it’s definitely a bit baggier around the waist than I’d prefer.

I have just over two metres of a great black knit fabric that I bought from Drapers Fabrics in Fitzroy, ostensibly for a pair of trousers but more realistically probably destined for a frock

Me Made May: Day 5

Dress: Anna Allen Demeter Dress with remixed linen tablecloth from Adairs

Every so often Gorman does a line of clothes with an artist that absolutely stops me in my tracks. And even though I have some issues with Gorman, and I KNOW the likelihood of me finding something that fits is close to zero, it’s usually enough to get me in the door for a browse. Dana Kinter is one of those artists, but sadly apart from a brief window of time just after E was born I’ve never had any luck fitting into anything Gorman has done with her.

Enter Adairs. This homewares brand has done a couple of ranges of bedlinen with Kinter (including a padded duvet cover that I turned into a quilted coat you’ll probably see later this month), and this season they’ve expanded the range to include a fabulous linen tablecloth printed with artwork of honeyeaters and gumblossoms. At 150x240cms it was exactly the right amount of yardage to turn into a frock, so that’s what I’ve done!

I used the Demeter dress from Anna Allen again, but used bias binding instead of facings to save on fabric. As usual the pockets are annoying me, and I wished I’d used the Fen dress pockets instead, but apart from that I LOVE it.

The tablecloth was $160, which was expensive, but I reasoned that if I’d seen a dress in this fabric for that price I wouldn’t have hesitated. It’s a lovely soft linen that has a decent amount of weight, and works surprisingly well for dressmaking